MOTION FROM LEWISHAM STOP THE WAR
STOP THE WAR AGM 7 SEPTEMBER 2019
This AGM notes that*
• The signing of an extradition warrant for Julian Assange makes more likely the extradition of the Wikileaks founder, for the “crime” of whistleblowing about the secret activities of the US government.
• Assange and Chelsea Manning have suffered terribly for their attempts to put these secret, illegal activities into the public domain. If Assange is extradited, he can expect many years in prison in appalling conditions. He is already held in maximum security Belmarsh prison in London, where he is reportedly very ill.
• Assange will not receive a fair trial in the US.
• None of the highly respectable newspapers which published his leaks have been sanctioned in any way, while Assange and Manning have been criminalised.
• Extradition to the US will mean a life sentence – and possibly a death sentence given Assange’s health.
Stop the War Resolves to
• Condemn unreservedly the actions of the UK government and judiciary in prolonging Julian Assange’s effective imprisonment without trial
• Work with campaigns to defend Wikileaks and journalistic freedom
• Encourage groups to support protests against the extradition of Julian Assange.
*All of this section taken from an article by Lindsey German on the STW website.