Isle of Wight CLP at the all members meeting held on the 25th February 2020.
MOTION: A motion from the Ryde Branch calling for the immediate release of Julian Assange from Belmarsh prison and calling on the UK Government to block his extradition to the US was overwhelmingly carried. The motion also called for the release of whistle blower, Chelsea Manning, who is still in prison for refusing to testify against Julian Assange. An amendment calling on the CLP to write to the NEC asking that a statement be made on behalf of the LP in support of these issues was also overwhelmingly carried.
Motion by Ryde Labour Party Branch carried on 3rd September 2019.
This meeting of Ryde Labour Party Branch condemns the Espionage Act charges against WikiLeaks publisher and journalist Julian Assange. The indictments issued by the US Department of Justice on May 23 carry a prison term of 175 years and are a frontal assault on the freedom of the press.
If extradited to the US, he could face additional charges that carry the death penalty. It is not just Assange’s fate that is in the balance. The democratic rights of the entire labour movement and of working people as a whole are at stake here.
We demand Assange’s immediate release from Belmarsh Prison and that the UK government block his extradition to the United States. We also call for the immediate release of courageous whistle-blower Chelsea Manning who has been re-jailed for refusing to testify against Assange.
We resolve to fight for Assange’s freedom and call on all Labour Party branches to come to his defence. An injury to one is an injury to all!
Email SubscriptionJoin 10,189 other subscribers
Follow us on Twitter@WISEUpAction twitter.com/WISEUpAction
- Secret Power, Media Freedom and Democracy in the context of the Julian #Assange case, Saturday 28th of January, between 4-6pm at St. Pancras New Church, Euston Road, London. Join us!
- Attend the new FOIA Tribunal about the Julian #Assange Case Friday 27th of January 2023, 10 am
- Secret Power, #WikiLeaks and its Enemies, by Stefania Maurizi, Book Review by Helen Mercer
- Where to buy Stefania Maurizi’s Amazing book: ‘Secret Power WikiLeaks and its enemies’
- Important news about the Spanish Case of Julian Assange vs David Morales owner of UC Global
- Pls come 2 Belmarsh from 2/4pm on Sat 10th Dec+bring #YellowRibbons4Assange+coloured Xmas #Lanterns4Assange #UnitedWeWin🌎🎗
- As a gesture of solidarity with the Ring Around Parliament event which was held in London on Saturday 8th October 2022
- 18/10/2022 Hacking Justice Assange film at the Rio
- RT @Stella_Assange: Came across this video on YouTube with the area of Julian’s prison cell marked on the ground. Simple and effective. ht… 14 hours ago
- RT @Germany4Assange: ⏳Mahnwache Dresden⏳ FreeAssange-Mahnwache (im Rahmen der Mahnwache für Frieden) in #Dresden Wann? Jeden Montag Nächs… 14 hours ago
- RT @SomersetBean: "It is virtually impossible to defend against the law that Julian Assange has supposedly violated. Any defense related to… 1 day ago
- RT @wikileaks: Mike Pompeo threatens sources implicating him as chief architect in CIA conspiracy to murder Julian Assange https://t.co/5e5… 1 day ago
- RT @DEAcampaign: "Enough is enough." - @AlboMP, Australian Prime Minister https://t.co/O8LY7sGuqm 1 day ago