Isle of Wight CLP at the all members meeting held on the 25th February 2020.
MOTION: A motion from the Ryde Branch calling for the immediate release of Julian Assange from Belmarsh prison and calling on the UK Government to block his extradition to the US was overwhelmingly carried. The motion also called for the release of whistle blower, Chelsea Manning, who is still in prison for refusing to testify against Julian Assange. An amendment calling on the CLP to write to the NEC asking that a statement be made on behalf of the LP in support of these issues was also overwhelmingly carried.
Motion by Ryde Labour Party Branch carried on 3rd September 2019.
This meeting of Ryde Labour Party Branch condemns the Espionage Act charges against WikiLeaks publisher and journalist Julian Assange. The indictments issued by the US Department of Justice on May 23 carry a prison term of 175 years and are a frontal assault on the freedom of the press.
If extradited to the US, he could face additional charges that carry the death penalty. It is not just Assange’s fate that is in the balance. The democratic rights of the entire labour movement and of working people as a whole are at stake here.
We demand Assange’s immediate release from Belmarsh Prison and that the UK government block his extradition to the United States. We also call for the immediate release of courageous whistle-blower Chelsea Manning who has been re-jailed for refusing to testify against Assange.
We resolve to fight for Assange’s freedom and call on all Labour Party branches to come to his defence. An injury to one is an injury to all!
Email SubscriptionJoin 10,389 other subscribers
Follow us on Twitter@WISEUpAction twitter.com/WISEUpAction
- #FreeAssange Activists commemorate on 11/04/2023 the 4th Anniversary of Julian Assange being violently arrested in the Ecuadorian Embassy – Photos and video by activist Naila Brown @BrownNaila
- Join us in commemorating the 4th Anniversary (11th April 2019) of Julian Assange’s violent arrest by UK for Publishing on behalf of America’s DOJ.
- Join Stefania Maurizi’s FOIA Tribunal on the Julian #Assange Case Monday 13th March 10am, Field House, Breams Buildings, London, EC4A 1DZ, Nearest tube: Chancery Lane & Holborn Circus
- Secret Power, Media Freedom and Democracy in the context of the Julian #Assange case, Saturday 28th of January, between 4-6pm at St. Pancras New Church, Euston Road, London. Join us!
- Attend the new FOIA Tribunal about the Julian #Assange Case Friday 27th of January 2023, 10 am
- Secret Power, #WikiLeaks and its Enemies, by Stefania Maurizi, Book Review by Helen Mercer
- Where to buy Stefania Maurizi’s Amazing book: ‘Secret Power WikiLeaks and its enemies’
- Important news about the Spanish Case of Julian Assange vs David Morales owner of UC Global
WISE Up friends and allies
- Artists for Assange
- Assange Campaign in Australia
- Assange Freedom Network
- Campaign for the Accountability of American Bases
- Chelsea Manning support Network Fundraiser
- Collateral Murder
- Courage Foundation
- Courage to Resist
- Freedom of the Press Foundation
- Justice for Assange
- London Catholic Worker
- National Union of Journalists
- Payday Men's Network
- Queer Strike
- Somerset Bean
- Stop The War Coalition
- The News Line
- Veterans for Peace in the UK
- WikiLeaks Art
- Wikileaks Don't Extradite Assange Campaign
- WikiLeaks Shop
Latest tweets from @WISEUpActionTweets by WISEUpAction