Isle of Wight CLP at the all members meeting held on the 25th February 2020.
MOTION: A motion from the Ryde Branch calling for the immediate release of Julian Assange from Belmarsh prison and calling on the UK Government to block his extradition to the US was overwhelmingly carried. The motion also called for the release of whistle blower, Chelsea Manning, who is still in prison for refusing to testify against Julian Assange. An amendment calling on the CLP to write to the NEC asking that a statement be made on behalf of the LP in support of these issues was also overwhelmingly carried.
Motion by Ryde Labour Party Branch carried on 3rd September 2019.
This meeting of Ryde Labour Party Branch condemns the Espionage Act charges against WikiLeaks publisher and journalist Julian Assange. The indictments issued by the US Department of Justice on May 23 carry a prison term of 175 years and are a frontal assault on the freedom of the press.
If extradited to the US, he could face additional charges that carry the death penalty. It is not just Assange’s fate that is in the balance. The democratic rights of the entire labour movement and of working people as a whole are at stake here.
We demand Assange’s immediate release from Belmarsh Prison and that the UK government block his extradition to the United States. We also call for the immediate release of courageous whistle-blower Chelsea Manning who has been re-jailed for refusing to testify against Assange.
We resolve to fight for Assange’s freedom and call on all Labour Party branches to come to his defence. An injury to one is an injury to all!
Email SubscriptionJoin 9,466 other subscribers
Follow us on Twitter@WISEUpAction twitter.com/WISEUpAction
- New #FreeJulianAssange Liverpool activist group joins the fight to mobilise their local community in support of the #WikiLeaks publisher!
- New #FreeAssange South Coast Group active in the Chichester area and beyond joins the fight to defend the WikiLeaks publisher!
- NetPol informs, educates how police surveillance is mapping protest movements. A must read for all WikiLeaks supporters who campaign and struggle to free its publisher Julian #Assange.
- Trade unionists support Julian Assange at the Tolpuddle Festival 2022
- 3/7/22 Birthday Solidarity Vigil in support of #WikiLeaks Julian #Assange
- To Parliament for #Justice4Assange – At the heart of British politics, join the Houses of Parliament Solidarity Vigil in support of #WikiLeaks publisher Julian #Assange 1-3pm Wednesdays July 2022
- A brilliant documentary about the #WikiLeaks publisher Julian #Assange watch Hacking Justice at Arthouse Crouch End – 6/7/22 6pm followed by Q and A with grassroots activists from JADC
- Marking Julian Assange’s 51st Birthday outside HMP Belmarsh Sunday 03/7/22 12-3pm – Join us!
- RT @jmcevoy_2: "Assange didn’t have any possibility of a fair legal process in the United States". This is an important interview with for… 1 week ago
- RT @longwalk4julian: On the final day of my walk from Hamburg to Belmarsh we met in Woolwich Arsenal & then continued to the prison where J… 1 week ago
- RT @JA_Defence: ! @longwalk4julian Belmarsh! Supporters greet his arrival with much admiration and we all march to the gates to protest thi… 2 weeks ago
- RT @StellaMoris1: This is extraordinary: On Mexico's independence day President @lopezobrador_ calls on Biden to #FreeAssangeNOW. Mexico ha… 2 weeks ago
- RT @SDonziger: BREAKING: Ice cream mogul @yobencohen of @benandjerrys is matching all donations to keep a mobile billboard supporting Julia… 2 weeks ago