Isle of Wight CLP at the all members meeting held on the 25th February 2020.
MOTION: A motion from the Ryde Branch calling for the immediate release of Julian Assange from Belmarsh prison and calling on the UK Government to block his extradition to the US was overwhelmingly carried. The motion also called for the release of whistle blower, Chelsea Manning, who is still in prison for refusing to testify against Julian Assange. An amendment calling on the CLP to write to the NEC asking that a statement be made on behalf of the LP in support of these issues was also overwhelmingly carried.
Motion by Ryde Labour Party Branch carried on 3rd September 2019.
This meeting of Ryde Labour Party Branch condemns the Espionage Act charges against WikiLeaks publisher and journalist Julian Assange. The indictments issued by the US Department of Justice on May 23 carry a prison term of 175 years and are a frontal assault on the freedom of the press.
If extradited to the US, he could face additional charges that carry the death penalty. It is not just Assange’s fate that is in the balance. The democratic rights of the entire labour movement and of working people as a whole are at stake here.
We demand Assange’s immediate release from Belmarsh Prison and that the UK government block his extradition to the United States. We also call for the immediate release of courageous whistle-blower Chelsea Manning who has been re-jailed for refusing to testify against Assange.
We resolve to fight for Assange’s freedom and call on all Labour Party branches to come to his defence. An injury to one is an injury to all!
Follow us on Twitter@WISEUpAction twitter.com/WISEUpAction
- Marking 14 WikiLeaks Years whilst Julian Assange is fighting US Extradition request at UK Magistrates Court
- Carta abierta al Ministro de Justicia y al Presidente del Tribunal Supremo, en referencia a la Magistrada Jefa Arbuthnot
- Upcoming actions in support of Julian Assange publisher of WikiLeaks 7-12 September 2020
- Grassroots actions to #FreeAssange should align with the interests and objectives of the campaign – Lessons from Sat 29/8/20
- Early Day Motion #719 in support of WikiLeaks’ Julian Assange – Being a shadow minister prevents endorsement
- Debunking the #Russiagate Smears Against #WikiLeaks
- Let me Remind you of Julian #Assange’s words about #WikiLeaks publication leading up to the US election 2016
- New Exhibition featuring contemporary social movement themes including the campaign to #FreeAssange
- RT @kgosztola: Fact-checked this and it only took a few minutes to confirm #AssangeTrial 33 minutes ago
- RT @kennardmatt: .@DeclassifiedUK has now published 7 investigations into legal irregularities and conflicts of interest in the Assange US… 1 hour ago
- RT @Tareq_Haddad: With so many developments in the #Assange case, I've been thinking about the best ways to document everything that has be… 4 hours ago
- #Assange extradition court hears explosive testimonies that undermine US indictment and provide grounds for dismiss… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 hours ago
- RT @MrsC_Assange: @DanielFooksArt @wattland1 @lulinspector Many thanks Daniel & to those UK citizens making sure my isolated, sick, torture… 12 hours ago