Isle of Wight CLP at the all members meeting held on the 25th February 2020.
MOTION: A motion from the Ryde Branch calling for the immediate release of Julian Assange from Belmarsh prison and calling on the UK Government to block his extradition to the US was overwhelmingly carried. The motion also called for the release of whistle blower, Chelsea Manning, who is still in prison for refusing to testify against Julian Assange. An amendment calling on the CLP to write to the NEC asking that a statement be made on behalf of the LP in support of these issues was also overwhelmingly carried.
Motion by Ryde Labour Party Branch carried on 3rd September 2019.
This meeting of Ryde Labour Party Branch condemns the Espionage Act charges against WikiLeaks publisher and journalist Julian Assange. The indictments issued by the US Department of Justice on May 23 carry a prison term of 175 years and are a frontal assault on the freedom of the press.
If extradited to the US, he could face additional charges that carry the death penalty. It is not just Assange’s fate that is in the balance. The democratic rights of the entire labour movement and of working people as a whole are at stake here.
We demand Assange’s immediate release from Belmarsh Prison and that the UK government block his extradition to the United States. We also call for the immediate release of courageous whistle-blower Chelsea Manning who has been re-jailed for refusing to testify against Assange.
We resolve to fight for Assange’s freedom and call on all Labour Party branches to come to his defence. An injury to one is an injury to all!
Follow us on Twitter@WISEUpAction twitter.com/WISEUpAction
- Letter writing to defend Assange, a vital role for any WikiLeaks supporter, Educating Damian Green MP
- Upcoming Solidarity Actions for Julian Assange of WikiLeaks July August 2020
- 29/06/20 Solidarity with Julian #Assange at Westminster Magistrates court hearing
- 27/06/20 – Solidarity is strong for Julian Assange with two London events Belmarsh and Piccadilly Circus
- 26/02/20 Solidarity Vigil for Julian #Assange outside the Home Office marking #UNTortureDay
- 20/06/2020 Supporting WikiLeaks’ Julian Assange with vigils and speak outs outside Belmarsh Prison and London’s Piccadilly Circus
- Correct the Record in the Julian #Assange Case – The Guardian
- Van Diemens Land to Belmarsh in 200 Years – The parallel between Tolpuddle Martyrs and Julian Assange
- RT @LissaKJohnson: If you know someone who needs bringing up to speed on #JulianAssange's case, how & why his imprisonment & legal proceedi… 9 hours ago
- RT @alimay101234: At Ecuadorian Embassy in London just now calling to Free Julian Assange #shutdowntheshowtrial https://t.co/Uqac9Xzbeo 12 hours ago
- RT @KimDotcom: Julian Assange should be home with his kids and not in solitary confinement for telling the world the truth. As long as inju… 13 hours ago
- RT @davidsirota: Next week, the guy who confined Chelsea Manning to a tiny prison cell 23 hours a day may end up becoming a Democratic nomi… 22 hours ago
- RT @StellaMoris1: Julian hasn't been able to meet his lawyers for 16 weeks. His case preparation is severely crippled. We don't know whethe… 22 hours ago