Isle of Wight CLP at the all members meeting held on the 25th February 2020.
MOTION: A motion from the Ryde Branch calling for the immediate release of Julian Assange from Belmarsh prison and calling on the UK Government to block his extradition to the US was overwhelmingly carried. The motion also called for the release of whistle blower, Chelsea Manning, who is still in prison for refusing to testify against Julian Assange. An amendment calling on the CLP to write to the NEC asking that a statement be made on behalf of the LP in support of these issues was also overwhelmingly carried.
Motion by Ryde Labour Party Branch carried on 3rd September 2019.
This meeting of Ryde Labour Party Branch condemns the Espionage Act charges against WikiLeaks publisher and journalist Julian Assange. The indictments issued by the US Department of Justice on May 23 carry a prison term of 175 years and are a frontal assault on the freedom of the press.
If extradited to the US, he could face additional charges that carry the death penalty. It is not just Assange’s fate that is in the balance. The democratic rights of the entire labour movement and of working people as a whole are at stake here.
We demand Assange’s immediate release from Belmarsh Prison and that the UK government block his extradition to the United States. We also call for the immediate release of courageous whistle-blower Chelsea Manning who has been re-jailed for refusing to testify against Assange.
We resolve to fight for Assange’s freedom and call on all Labour Party branches to come to his defence. An injury to one is an injury to all!
Follow us on Twitter@WISEUpAction twitter.com/WISEUpAction
- The War on Journalism (film and live Q&A) The Case of Julian Assange
- Secret Warrants for ‘All Emails’ and Metadata of WikiLeaks Supporter Reveal Far-Reaching State Power Writes Mohamed El Maazi for Sputnik
- Write to the Lord Chancellor to #FreeAssange
- Julian Assange Prison Conditions constitute torture and he must be released writes Niki Konstantinidis
- Publico (Spain): A deputy inspector from the National Police and TEDAX sold equipment to spy on #Assange in London to UC Global
- What are the figures for #Covid19 among Belmarsh prisoners? Writes Niki Konstantinidis
- In December 2011, Sweden pursued preventing Julian Assange from applying to ECHR to appeal his case. In June 2012 this is exactly what happened.
- The Guardian on #Assange: A sinner repenteth or something else?
- #FreeAssange #DropTheCharges #NoExtradition twitter.com/deacampaign/st… 6 hours ago
- RT @StellaMoris1: David Davis MP on Assange case judgment: "It has been claimed that, because the Act does not specifically refer to polit… 7 hours ago
- RT @DEAcampaign: David Davis [@DavidDavisMP] yesterday in the House of Commons: "The decision to block the extradition of Mr #Assange this… 7 hours ago
- RT @greekemmy: It's tonight! Check out "The War on Journalism (film and live Q&A)" eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-war-on-j… @EventbriteUK 7 hours ago
- RT @bjwinnerdavis: democracynow.org/2021/1/21/head… 7 hours ago