Isle of Wight CLP at the all members meeting held on the 25th February 2020.
MOTION: A motion from the Ryde Branch calling for the immediate release of Julian Assange from Belmarsh prison and calling on the UK Government to block his extradition to the US was overwhelmingly carried. The motion also called for the release of whistle blower, Chelsea Manning, who is still in prison for refusing to testify against Julian Assange. An amendment calling on the CLP to write to the NEC asking that a statement be made on behalf of the LP in support of these issues was also overwhelmingly carried.
Motion by Ryde Labour Party Branch carried on 3rd September 2019.
This meeting of Ryde Labour Party Branch condemns the Espionage Act charges against WikiLeaks publisher and journalist Julian Assange. The indictments issued by the US Department of Justice on May 23 carry a prison term of 175 years and are a frontal assault on the freedom of the press.
If extradited to the US, he could face additional charges that carry the death penalty. It is not just Assange’s fate that is in the balance. The democratic rights of the entire labour movement and of working people as a whole are at stake here.
We demand Assange’s immediate release from Belmarsh Prison and that the UK government block his extradition to the United States. We also call for the immediate release of courageous whistle-blower Chelsea Manning who has been re-jailed for refusing to testify against Assange.
We resolve to fight for Assange’s freedom and call on all Labour Party branches to come to his defence. An injury to one is an injury to all!
Follow us on Twitter@WISEUpAction twitter.com/WISEUpAction
- 1/6/2020 at Westminster Magistrates Court – Julian #Assange Administrative hearing
- This is a fight that will define your freedom! #DontExtraditeAssange
- Westminster Magistrates Court for Julian Assange’s 1st US extradition hearing 2 May 2019
- November 2019 #FreeTheTruth – Mark Curtis explains 8 things that we can do to support Julian Assange
- 22/2/20 – Don’t Extradite #Assange March and Parliament Square Demo
- Complaining to Ofcom about the BBC
- Free Assange Face masks Design and UK suppliers
- BBC Surveillance of Julian Assange outside the Ecuadorian Embassy August 2018 in London
- RT @bjwinnerdavis: Today the 3rd anniversary of her arrest & jailing I learn that the fed prison is restricting all communication in & out… 52 minutes ago
- RT @MrsC_Assange: We are informed Julian wears a yellow prisoner armband! So we are extending our #YellowRibbons4Assange campaign (write… 52 minutes ago
- RT @JohnSimpsonNews: #julianassange’s partner @StellaMoris1 says he’s in his cell at HMP Belmarsh 23 hours a day & wants to listen to Radio… 9 hours ago
- RT @bjwinnerdavis: This is such a stain on America. Release #RealityWinner 9 hours ago
- RT @couragefound: Following motions from @BhamTUC and @NUJofficial, a resolution campaign is being launched across the labour movement in s… 14 hours ago