When the British legal establishment upheld the US indictment against Julian Assange at the Central Criminal Court on Old Bailey in January and only dismissed his extradition on mental health grounds, it was not just committing a gross injustice against him as an individual and the principle of a free press, but also reversing the direction of travel of 600 years of London history.
At 1.00pm on Sunday 4th July, London Blue Badge Guide, Sean Mitchell, will guide you through that 600-year tradition of individuals and groups who have taken on the establishment since the 14th century.
The walk will start at Blackfriars and end approximately two hours later on a Soviet Constructivist-style staircase near King’s Cross (please be aware that some of the route will require climbing stairs and be uphill). Although I do not plan to talk about Julian’s case specifically as part of the walk, we will be passing the Central Criminal Court as a salutary reminder of the irony of his fate in the 21st century when set against the preceding 600 years of broadly successful struggle of radicals versus the establishment which should have guaranteed that he would not have to go through what he is going through. In reflecting on the events which this walk will feature in the same city where Julian was dragged out of asylum in an embassy and remains subject to unlawful detention and torture (according to the UN) in a maximum security prison, I think we can see that history itself has gone into reverse in the times in which live.
I will take the first 20 people who donate £10 or more to the support campaign for Julian.
Please make your donations directly to the campaign at: https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/assangeappeal/
Please email Sean at email@example.com to confirm that you will be joining me on the walk and how much you will be donating based on the number of people in your group, and I will email you details of the exact meeting point.
Follow us on Twitter@WISEUpAction twitter.com/WISEUpAction
- Julian #Assange in his own words: “The distortion by the media of history is our single greatest impediment to advancement”
- Judge Baraitser’s judgement indicates Judge Arbuthnot concealed existence of 2017 arrest warrant for US Extradition in the #AssangeCase
- 50th Birthday messages to Julian from John Pilger, Andrew Feinstein and Chris Williamson
- Marking Julian Assange’s 50th Birthday outside HMP Belmarsh
- #FreeAssange Ireland marking Julian Assange’s 50th Birthday and solidarity message to JADC
- Update: Misconduct in Public Office in the #Assange Case – Crime Reports Filed by a supporter for Paul Close, Emma Arbuthnot, Deborah Taylor, Michael Snow
- Saturday July 3rd, 2021 – Join us celebrating Julian Assange’s 50th Birthday
- Parliamentarians must be allowed to discuss important press freedom issues with Julian Assange
- RT @CraigMurrayOrg: I have to hand myself in at St Leonards Police Station Edinburgh on Sunday morning to go to jail I don't want it to be… 2 days ago
- RT @martinbray3: #freeassangeNow #freeassange #assange #dropthecharges FREE JULIAN ASSANGE NOW North London https://t.co/D05vp69Ryd 1 week ago
- RT @ggreenwald: How do people like @SecBlinken not choke on the stench of their own deceit, propaganda and authoritarianism? https://t.co/F… 1 week ago
- RT @suigenerisjen: About time. And now reverse another Trump administration policy decision which is a disaster for press freedom: drop the… 1 week ago
- RT @SMaurizi: this is what spies did to my phone inside the Ecuadorean embassy while meeting Julian #Assange, I do feel a sense of deep vio… 1 week ago