Correction and apology
The article below makes reference to Chelsea Manning passing through Ireland’s Shannon airport en route to Iraq.
We now know from direct communication with Chelsea that this was not the case and that she did not pass through Shannon airport at any time, although nearly 2.5 million other US soldiers have done so. The use of Shannon by the US military is an ongoing and contentious issue in Ireland.
The information apparently came from a member of Manning’s Unit and was passed onto us in good faith by a trusted source. We apologise for this error and any confusion it has caused.
WISE Up, May 2015
Catholic Worker Ciaron O’Reilly didn’t stand in the Irish elections in February 2011; he ran up to, through and right past them for Bradley Manning, calling for Manning to be made an honorary Irish citizen and be offered sanctuary in Ireland. Ciaron explains why:
“We sent Bradley Manning through Shannon Airport to war on Iraq. He is accused of exposing war crimes while in Iraq and is now being tortured in Quantico, Virginia, USA. The last place Bradley was before stepping foot in a war zone, and probably a lifetime in prison, was Shannon Airport, Ireland. Let’s bring Bradley back to Ireland and offer him sanctuary and Irish citizenship!”
See the original report and comments on Indymedia Ireland here.
Irish Elections 2011: Ciaron O’Reilly Christian Anarchist (Catholic Worker/ Plowshares) Address to the Irish People!
YouTube Part 1
YouTube Part 2
Ciaron is running, not standing, in the Irish elections. He’s running right up to the elections and running right past them! These are the basic election campaign policies……
- We sent Bradley Manning through Shannon Airport to war on Iraq. He is accused of exposing war crimes while in Iraq and is now being tortured in Quantico, Viriginia, USA. The last place Bradley was before stepping foot in a war zone, and probably a lifetime in prison, was Shannon Airport, Ireland. Let’s bring Bradley back to Ireland and offer him sanctuary and Irish citizenship! Grant Bradley Manning Irish citizenship.
- let’s demilitarise Shannon Airport! Most U.S. troops that went to invade and occupy Iraq went through the small departure lounge at Shannon Airport on the west coast of Ireland. Some departed to kill and be killed, some to be scarred for life with post traumatic stress. 4,000 returned in body bags, 10,000 with injuries they will never recover from and another 20,000 with injuries they should recover from. According to the Lancet Report, these young Americans killed over 1 million Iraqis (mostly women and children), we owe all these people an apology and to shutdown the U.S. military base at Shannon Airport!
- when they offer you two choices Fianne Fail and Fine Gael
……always choose the third! Think and act outside the box!
- Let’s have an economic life based on satisfying human needs and not private profit! Let’s “Live simply so all may simply live!”
- With our consumer power let’s support ethical production.
- With our solidarity let’s support grassroots workers struggles to seize the means of production!
Full report including comments on Indymedia Ireland.